Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ghost Ride the Whip


Ghost Riding the Whip: Today's Cultural Anthropology Lesson

Also known as "ghostin", it is when a person puts the car in neutral or allows it to idle and then the passengers of exit while it is still rolling and dance beside it or on the hood or roof. And I love this: Ghost riding is also known as "going Patrick Swayze," or just "going Swayze," referring to Patrick Swayze's lead role in the movie Ghost (Wiki).

The phrase "Ghost ride the whip" was made popular by rapper, E-40. Although I could swear the act itself was first made popular by Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf. But what do I know? The stunt is a common practice among members of the Hyphy community. Hyphy (pronounced HI-fee) is a style of music and dance associated with the Bay Area hip hop culture.

Now you can say you learned something today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just nuts. What's even more nuts is that a suburban mom like myself has heard of this (via a more hip friend). The bimbos on "The Girls Next Door" actually tried this in an episode. Oh crap, I just admitted I watched such trash. Really I just can't believe how much T and A they allow on cable these days. I predict there will be full frontal female nudity on network TV within the next five years. Which is funny given our current cultural climate and the Bush Administration's quest to stamp out all things sexual. And to think people are weirded out by breastfeeding in public!

Courtney said...

I own the Grils Next Door DVD's from season one. Don't tell anybody. ;) And I know of Ghost Riding the Whip from that also. And from some nerdy newsanchors in LA. I heart trash TV.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.